Thursday, December 31, 2009

So I Can't Sleep...

Dammit I can't sleep, so in between watching SportsCenter and working, I have decided to talk about my recent trip to Mississippi for the Christmas holiday.



All in all, I have to say it was a good trip as I got to see my mother, whom I only see once a year, as well as see my Uncle Lewis and Aunt Vernetta who I haven't seen in about 4 years or so. Wish I could have seen more people, but we were on a short time line so I didn't get to make the rounds that I had originally hope.


As far as food and Southern Cuisine goes, there is nothing quite like it. My mother was on hand to fill my belly with macaroni casserole, potato salad, shrimp, fish, ham, turkey, rolls, greens, and sweet potato pies. Keep in mind I was only there for less than 36 hours, so as you can imagine, upon my return to Tampa there was indeed a gym visit in my future.

I really wish I could give a valid reason for not going home more often than I do, but I can offer none, other than admittedly being married to my job. One thing I will try to make it back at least once a year...in addition to family of course, is to have an opportunity to eat at Ward's. If you haven't heard about  this place, it is like heaven in the form of Big One Combo and a Root Beer Float!



As a result of my not being home for so long, I truly felt like a tourist in my own home town, as so much has changed with regards to the landscape and certain areas of town. When the hell did Oak Grove become a big city...lol, someone tell me that! 

As far as Hattiesburg goes, They restored parts of downtown, and my old neighborhood has a highway running through it, which was a complete shocker, as last time I was there that highway was nowhere near completion.


I didn't recognize allot of things, but one thing I did notice, was that all of the local businesses seem to be in tact. Of course you have your big chain stores and restaurants as you do anywhere, but in Hattiesburg, the family business will always remain, and that is good to see in this day in age.

All in all, it was a good trip and I look forward to the next one. Hopefully i will be sooner than later...

1 comment:

Kat @ For the Love of Chaos said...

If you show me Ward's ONE more time, I'm thru reading your crap for good. LOL I'm CRAVING Ward's now. haha