Saturday, June 13, 2009

I Have My URL, How Bout You...

Alright so I am a big dork, as the highlight of my weekend will most likely be staying up late and getting my Facebook vanity URL. I am the proud one and only owner of http://www.Facebook.com/JeremyFairley. I was going to add another URL for my work Facebook page at http://www.VisitTampaBay.com/Facebook, but it didn't seem to work as our page has less than 1,000 followers. We will however be able to get the URL after June 28, which I was angry about at first, but it made sense to me after reading this article...

Now the coolest part to me was when I Googled my name and my Facebook page with my new URL showed up above the fold on the SERP(Search Engine Results Pages), and that got me thinking. It's amazing to see how fast this process happened, and to see the impact of this will have on the organic side of SEO. So if you ever feel like you have no presence on the web, just upgrade your account and get your vanity URL and with the popularity of Facebook plus the keyword term related to your name, in theory you should pop up.

As you can imagine, all of the worlds top brands were I am sure part of the rush to grab the URLs to beat the Squatters to the punch in their attempts to effectively have more control over their brands. I checked a few of my favorites and they are already setup. The down side to all of this is that Facebook users as can pretty much cancel any ideas of anonymity as you are that much easier to find, given the popularity of Facebook and the ease by which user profiles show up in those search engine results.

That's all I got tonight though, check you later!

No comments: